Entrusted!
Dear Elders and Sisters:
A few days ago I received the following message: "A
Sister from the ______ Stake phoned. She
had some concerns about Missionaries.
She has tried to befriend a recent convert and help her strengthen her
testimony. The recent convert told her
of some questionable comments and actions by Missionaries. When the Sister
called the Missionaries phone they answered with 'what?' She realized the Missionary was expecting
someone else but was concerned they didn't see it as unbecoming behavior. She has too often observed Missionaries as
unfocused and casual in their behavior either within their companionship, their
District, and too often Members. She
wondered if Missionaries today are serious and committed. To add to her dismay, when she spoke to her
son, he told her about Missionaries in his area where the Elders and Sisters
seemed to spend a lot of time together just visiting outside the
apartments. She said she would not like
to think her children would behave in these various ways if they go on
missions."
While I don't want to condemn the many great Elders and
Sisters who are constantly on their best behavior as Missionaries, this very
sad case is cause for great alarm and a helpful reminder to us all of the need
to be constantly vigilant of our behavior.
I, with Elder Holland, wish to evaporate the great gap that too often
exists between "what we believe and how we behave."
Alma speaking to his son Corianton used these words of
rebuke: "Thou didst that which was grievous unto me; for thou didst
FORSAKE THE MINISTRY....Thou shouldst have tended to the ministry wherewith
thou was entrusted." Now I am sure
Corianton was not too different from you as a young person serving and while
Alma is pointing out the "grievous" nature of his ultimate sin, I
have to wonder how Corianton got there.
Did he start with the bending of a few rules? Did he become casual in his conversations
with his companions? Was he perhaps not
vigilant in who he visited with or casual in visiting with members of the
opposite sex? I truly do not believe he
simply woke up one day and thought: "I think I'll 'go over into the land
of Siron among the borders of the Lamanites, after the harlot Isabel' today." No, I am sure he did many small things wrong,
many "bendings" of the rules, many little disobediences which
ultimately drew him away from his purpose leading him to "forsaking"
who he had been called to be and what he had been called to do.
Alma went on to rebuke him noting he "shouldst have
tended to the ministry wherewith thou wast ENTRUSTED." I love that word (Entrusted) because it
denotes so well how the Lord feels about your "call to serve". It is a sacred trust! And that means in all things, at all times,
and in all places! And later on in his
rebuke he is telling Corianton what this Sister is telling us in this mission
when we become relaxed, casual, or unfocused on our purpose forgetting who we
are ALWAYS representing: "Behold, O my son [Elder or Sister], how great
iniquity ye brought upon the Zoramites (insert Fresno-ites, Visalia-ites,
Porterville-ites, Hanford-ites, or Merced-ites here if applicable); for when
they saw your conduct they would not believe in my words."
May I stress here that while I am seeking to teach and
have you be mindful of (as pointed out by this Sister) the damage a thoughtless
act, an unfocused comment, or casual conversation or behavior can cause in our
efforts to "find constantly, teach repentance, and baptize converts"
and rescue less active Members, this "forsaking of your ministry" is
not limited only to Members and Non-Members.
No, it is equally damaging and damning amongst fellow missionaries! I can't imagine anything more devastating to
a young missionary than to witness less than appropriate behavior of a
missionary leader or any missionary senior in time, growth or development, or
any CFM Missionary for that matter.
Elders and Sisters.
I am calling for a redoubling of your efforts! A recommitment to exact obedience - at all
times, in all things, and in all places!
I never want to receive a call again from a Stake President requesting I
transfer a Missionary out of a Ward or Area because their behavior is
"unbecoming that of their entrusted calling". Never again!
NO, NEVER AGAIN IN THE GREAT CFM!
"And now my [Elders and Sisters], I desire that ye
should let these things trouble you no more, and only let your sins trouble
you, with that trouble which shall bring you down unto repentance."
"And now, O my [Elders and Sisters], ye are called
of God to preach the word unto this people.
And now, my [Elders and Sisters], go thy way, declare the word with
truth and soberness, that thou mayest bring souls unto repentance, that the
great plan of mercy may have claim upon [the people of the Great CFM]. And may god grant unto you even according to
my words, Amen."
With much love and concern for your success!
President Clark
No comments:
Post a Comment