Monday, February 6, 2017

President's Weekly - The Eternal Law of Sacrifice

The Eternal Law of Sacrifice

Dear Elders and Sisters:

President and Sister Nelson's and Elder and Sister Cook's kind observation and compliment of how obedient this mission is continues to brood over me.  I continue to be elevated in spirit that the Holy Ghost would, first and foremost, communicate this to them about the great CFM.  As I ponder this, the concept of "What Lack I Yet" (Elder Lawrence) settles on me as instructive.  While we will accept the wonderful compliment of our honored guests, we will not rest from our labors or upon our laurels.

“And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? “And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. “Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. “And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth. “Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. “And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.” (Mark 10:17–22.)

In response to the Young, Rich Ruler's question posed to the Son of Man, Jesus' first answer was to obey.  Once established, He, the Savior, invited him to live the law of sacrifice.  Note the divine order of these two commandments - obedience leading to sacrifice - and necessity of living the first law of heaven (obedience) in-order-to build the faith, hope, and love necessary to live the eternal law of sacrifice.  This divine order or pattern you may have already observed in the temple as well.

How timely is this for the CFM!  Just as the Brethren are granting us to be better agents unto ourselves, the Lord seems to be preparing the way for the great CFM to live the law of sacrifice, in addition to the law of obedience.  While I recognize you have already sacrificed much to be here, it impresses upon me there will be sacrifice required to effectively be agents unto yourselves and truly "Journey to Higher Ground" (Elder David B. Haight).

These sacrifices may be recognized as a list of "To Do's" such as study the MHB each transfer but you may have to do it on your personal time in-order-to not sacrifice true companion study in a now shortened companion study time block.  Or share what you learned in your personal studies with your companion but do so over lunch, again so-as-to not take away from precious role play time needed in your companion studies.  And I could go on but you get the picture.  The crux of the matter is, we will need to sacrifice our wills, our wills and desires to kick back, to relax, to "chill" in order to remain anxiously engaged in the Lord's work.  With each sacrifice our testimonies will be strengthened for to do so is to obey and show our love for others.  Many great blessings are associated with OBEDIENCE to the eternal law of SACRIFICE (note that order).  The Savior was simply inviting the Young, Rich Ruler to build upon his obedience and obey the eternal law of sacrifice.  I believe He is inviting us to do the same.

We look forward to being with you in interviews these next two weeks.  Please come prepared to teach and role play.  Please come in Districts allowing two hours per District. 

Sister Clark and I send our love and prayers!

President Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment