Monday, May 15, 2017

President's Weekly - Close to Scripture!

Close to Scripture!

Dear Elders and Sisters,

Last week I wrote about the Book of Mormon.  This week I feel guided to write to you about Preach My Gospel.  

In 3 Nephi 26, just after the Prophet editor Mormon is lamenting his inability to write everything that was recorded but offering his reassurance he (and his son) abridged the records for the "intent" to bless the Gentiles, appears this verse: 9. "And when they shall receive this (the Book of Mormon), which is expedient they shall have first, to try their faith, and if it shall so be that they shall believe these things then shall the 'greater things be made manifest unto them.'" I have always wondered what the "greater things" would be. Being a lover of the Book of Mormon, in my prideful moments, I often think I am ready for these "greater things". 

The more I study Preach My Gospel coupled with my understanding of how it was written and who wrote it, I believe it fits this category of "greater things [to] be made manifest." I absolutely love each and every chapter in it!  You have heard me reference "Complete Missionaries" and much of that reference is to your required knowledge of Preach My Gospel.  While I believe this to be the base case missionary - familiar with and versed in Preach My Gospel - I am pleased with how versed so many of you are with Preach My Gospel. I often hear reference to it in casual conversation, I have enjoyed teaching appointments with missionaries teaching with it and from it.  And I have been blessed to enjoy trainings where you have referenced it, trained from it, or referred to it for scriptural passages. Well done, I say, Well Done!!!  

But I do believe we can and should do better.  In each of the last Zone Conferences we've asked a question to discern your obedience and commitment in regard to Preach My Gospel.  It is: "Have you studied each of the chapters in Preach My Gospel during the last six weeks?"  It has been shared with me that to a few Missionaries "study" in this context may mean "glanced at" or "looked over for a few minutes".  I remember once in an interview with a Missionary I inquired as to how his study of Preach My Gospel was going and he looked at me curiously and then gave a response that saddened me.  His response was: "I read it in the MTC.  Should I read it again?"  No!  No!  No!  Don't you dare treat Preach My Gospel that way!  It is an inspired volume and will bless your life as a Missionary almost as much as your STUDY of the Book of Mormon. 

In 3 Nephi 27:25 it states; "Out of the books that have been written, and which shall be written, shall this people be judged..." Therefore, I believe we will be held accountable and judged for what is in Preach My Gospel as one of the "books...which shall be [has been] written". I hope and pray you continue to make Preach My Gospel part of your everyday study. 

President Cleveland, former Stake President of the Fresno Stake now serving as Mission President in Michigan Detroit, shared with me that when Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles was here he stated relative to Preach My Gospel: "That's about as close to scripture as anything we've seen in a long time from the Twelve."

Thank you for continuing to be great Preach My Gospel missionaries in your effort to be Complete Missionaries. If you need to be more invested in Preach My Gospel, please become more invested.  I promise it will bless your ministry in countless ways.

Thank you for your goodness, your love and support, your faith and prayers, and the inspired way in which you move the work of salvation forward. 

Sister Clark and I look forward to being with you in Zone Conference this week.  Please come prepared to receive revelation and plan on leaving changed, not just entertained.  

With much love,

President Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment