“Ask Why?” and “Should I?”
Dear Elders and Sisters:
One of the most difficult tasks we face in this life is
to prioritize and do the right thing in all cases. It is a learning experience and one that
seemingly takes a lifetime. For that I
am grateful that the 'Enduring to the End" phase of life with all of its
learning, growing, and developing is generously long that we may become refined
and wise in our abilities to prioritize.
President Hinckley taught: "You have to establish in your life some
sense of prioritizing things, of giving emphasis to the important things and of
laying aside the unimportant things that will lead to nothing."
Recently I observed a few instances that re-affirmed to
me the importance of Missionaries needing to prioritize and protect their time
in their areas. This is an ongoing
challenge that you have to decide over and over again, and often between good
alternatives. But I promise you if you will make the time in your area your
priority, you will make the best decision in each instance by protecting that
priority. I call it the "Ask Why?
and "Should I?" I know you'll
all remember this because it has a catchy ring to it.
Example #1: I was
attending a Priesthood Leadership session of Stake Conference where I was asked
to speak/train by the visiting General Authority. In the audience were two of our Elders. I
wondered why they might attend? I have
not yet been able to catch up with them to ask...but l am sure they will
explain it in their letter today. Elders
are not Priesthood Leaders in this mission.
So if they had "Asked Why?"
they would have quickly decided attending Priesthood Leadership was
something they shouldn't do - "Should I?" The answer is no. The answer is that their area is/was more
important than Priesthood Leadership, even if a Bishop or Ward Member may have
invited them. Again - "Ask
Why?" and "Should I?"
Example #2: Sister
Clark and I were asked to attend a Stake Missionary Preparation Fireside to
assist in the teaching. As we arrived we
found two Elders there also. I asked if
they had been invited. They responded
their Bishop suggested they come. But if
they had stopped for a moment and "Asked Why?" or "Should
I?" I am pretty sure they would
have quickly reached the conclusion that their area time was far more important
than sitting in the back of a youth/parent fireside. Worse, they had arrived without their suit
coats - elders never attend a church meeting without their suit coats. Again, "Ask Why?" and "Should
I?" even in what you wear and how you appear.
This little mantra will help guide you as you seek to
prioritize. As missionaries, your
priority is always your Missionary Purpose and therefore your area. As you are faced with options, often offered
with the best intentions and love and concern for you, simply "Ask
Why?" and "Should I?" and I believe the spirit will guide you to
make the right decision - likely to protect your Purpose and time in your area.
As we begin this new transfer, I do so with so much
enthusiasm and confidence that you will continue to do great work, be exactly
obedient, and journey to higher ground in all aspects of your ministry and
discipleship as you strive to live your Missionary Purpose.
With much love,
President Clark
No comments:
Post a Comment