Monday, October 31, 2016

PRESIDENT'S WEEKLY - I'm Trying To Be Like Jesus

I’m Trying To Be Like Jesus

Dear Elders and Sisters:

Sister Clark and I have just returned from our Mission Presidents' Seminar and like you after Zone Conference, are more energetic than ever having been taught and instructed so very well by those who are called to lead and guide this great work.  We were blessed to be instructed by Elders Rasband, Hallstrom, Cook, Ardern, and Clayton and their wives and truly felt the spirit confirming and placing deep in our hearts their inspired counsel, teaching, and trainings.  We'll share what we've been taught in our next Zone Conference.  We can't wait!!!

Elder Rasband was asked a question: "If you could go back and be a Mission President again, what would you do different?"  One of his responses really stood out to me as being timely for this mission.  He said: "I would teach the Missionaries more of the Character of Christ and help them better understand who He is."  As he said this I thought of each of you here in the great California Fresno Mission providing water, sun, and light to your seeds you've planted as you've undertaken to study in earnest the Character of Christ and Faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement - each inextricably linked.  I will be anxious to hear from you today as to how your "experiment upon the Word" is progressing and what signs you are seeing that this is a good seed that has taken root and is beginning to grow.

As I have undertaken the same challenge that was issued to you, I have chosen to use PMG Chapter 6 as my initial guide and then expand and augment from there.   Not only is my understanding from the scriptures being "enlarged" but my testimony of PMG is deepening as well.  I think most importantly, I have noted that while I am learning more of His attributes and character, I am discovering a great disconnect in my life between what I know to be "the way, the truth, and the life" and my ability to personally emulate His patterns, truths and doctrines.  As we discussed, it is one thing to build faith in Jesus Christ through worship and adoration, but it is an entirely different and somewhat difficult thing to emulate Him.  Yes, we will have to "know of Him" through our studies and searching but I think you will find with me that the way we come to "know Him", comes as a result of trying to be like Him.  This endeavor should make the oft sung Primary song "I'm Trying To Be Like Jesus" swirl around in your head again and again - which isn't a bad thing to have happen.

We applaud you in this undertaking!  We hope you recognize this to be more than a "study of doctrine" but a discovery of characteristics to be desired and emulated.  I think King Benjamin described it so perfectly at the end of his great sermon and discourse that left his people prostrated on the ground recognizing their fallen state when he said: "How knoweth the man the master whom he has not served, and who is a stranger unto him, and is far from the THOUGHTS and INTENTS of his HEART?" (Mosiah 5:13).  Our testimony and promise is that as you truly seek Him, you shall find Him and as you seek to emulate Him, you will come to know Him and "be like Him" (Moroni 7:48).

With our heartfelt love and admiration for the great disciples you are becoming,
President Clark



No comments:

Post a Comment