Tuesday, March 7, 2017

President's Weekly - "Little Red Scripture Wagon"

“Little Red Scripture Wagon”

Dear Elders and Sisters:

I have a lot of requests from Missionaries, often those who've been out "less than one year", to read books that are not on the approved list.  My response is almost always the same: "Not yet, you have too much to study in PMG!"  Please know I am not just putting you off with a standard line.  I really believe that to be true.  I truly believe PMG to be "about as near to canonized scripture as you can get" (quoting L. Tom Perry, of the Quorum of the Twelve, 2015).  While it looks like a manual which too often we shy away from, it is so much more! 

In 3 Nephi chapter 23, the Risen Lord states: "Behold, other scriptures I would that ye should write, that ye have not.  Bring forth the record which ye have kept" (verses 6, 7).  After reviewing the record he notes prophecies by Samuel the Lamanite Prophet have been excluded reviewing the prophecies with the people and then asking: "Was it not so?"  The people exclaimed: Yea, Lord, Samuel did prophecy according to thy words, and THEY WERE ALL FULFILLED." (verses 9, 10).  And then he asks: "How be it that ye have not written this thing?" (verse 11)

I believe the Lord wants us to have all things for our enlightenment, enrichment, edification, and ultimately to judge us righteously.  If we have but do not partake, we will be held accountable!  Later in this same record, Chapter 26, the Savior says: "These scriptures, (referring to the excluded prophecies of Samuel) which ye had not with you, the Father commanded that I should give unto you, for it was wisdom that they should be given unto future generations." (verse 2)

And then in verse 6, Mormon, the Prophet editor, makes one of his many laments that there "cannot be written...even a hundredth part of the things which Jesus did truly teach unto the people" and then adds this insightful commentary in verse 9: "And when they shall have received this (the Book of Mormon), which is expedient that they should have first, to try their faith, and if it shall so be that they shall believe these things then shall the 'greater things' be made manifest unto them."

I have often wondered what will the "greater things" be?  Another Book of Mormon containing the "fiftieth part", the "tenth part", something more?    Elder Neal A. Maxwell said: “The day will come, brothers and sisters, when we will have other books of scripture which will emerge to accompany the Holy Bible and the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price. Presently you and I carry our scriptures around in a “quad”; the day will come when you’ll need a little red wagon.”

Will you put in your "little red scripture wagon" your copy of PMG?  I believe it belongs there.  I believe it is the beginning of "greater things"!  I hope you fall in love with PMG almost as much as you have the Book of Mormon, especially the Lessons.  I will never forget the sweet experience that was mine as I prepared to serve by studying PMG in a serious way.  I was seeking to reclaim my Spanish and decided to read and learn the Lessons aloud in Spanish.  Many were the times I had to stop because I couldn't see the words through my tears - tears of sweet joy and emotion as the spirit bore such powerful witness that what I was reading was true!  Was doctrine!  And was needed to be heard by the people we teach in a powerful way!  I continue to "sup" from that book daily and it has been so enriching and rewarding to my personal conversion.

In chapter 27, Mormon puts an exclamation point on this powerful teaching of 'greater things', in my mind.  In verse 25 he states: "For behold, out of the books which have been written, and which shall be written, shall this people be judged, for by them shall their works be known unto men."  I'll put PMG in that category of "shall be written" and by which we will be "judged", especially as a called, set apart servant of the Lord! In the great review of my life at the Judgement Bar, I do not want to hear the Savior ask: "Was it not so" that I gave you PMG in order to become a "Complete Missionary"?

Are the Lessons sweet to you, Elders and Sisters?  Are the doctrines and principles of the Lessons deep in your hearts?  Do you know the associated scriptures with the lessons, how to quickly find them, read and teach them and help the "People" know of these teachings?  Or have you simply treated PMG has a textbook or a manual that you know well enough to pass the "pop quiz questions" of a Zone Conference or Zone/District Meeting?  I believe your teaching will improve as your study of PMG, particularly the Lessons, improves.  And I believe if we truly want to Rise Up to the Height of our Calls, to truly Journey to Higher Ground through exact obedience and sacrifice, it will be by becoming better teachers of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

I promise He, the one True Teacher, will send the Holy Ghost to "teach you all things" from PMG if you will re-dedicate yourself and your studies to this 'greater thing' in a meaningful way.  I bear my witness of the scriptures, especially the Book of Mormon, as the best way to help people come to know the truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and that PMG is just about as close to scripture as you may see for a long while.  It is truly one of the 'greater things' the Lord has given us as His servants and saints.

With much love, prayers, and appreciation,

President Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment