Tuesday, March 14, 2017

What Manner of Men and Women Ought Ye to Be?

 What Manner of Men and Women Ought Ye to Be?

Dearest Elders and Sisters,

While serving as Young Men's President some years ago, one of 24 priests was a young man who was the "runt of the liter". While he was a senior at the time, he continued to be the smallest in the group. His brothers were all big strapping football players and his sisters accomplished volleyball athletes. But Matt, just didn't have the size. I watched him work hard at soccer and other sports and, while small, he competed quite well. I noted that his size never really troubled him though. I think he was always happy in his own skin so to speak. I believe he knew what his potential was. Matt was my good friend. We spent a lot of time together on our boat in the early mornings skiing and wake boarding and in the evenings as he and the other priests would drop by the house. We often hosted them and their dates at our home for date night. it was a pleasure to be associated with Matt and the other 24 priests in the Quorum - all who went on to serve missions. After Matt graduated he started to grow a little more and when he left on his mission at 19 he was almost 6 foot and maybe 145 lbs. dripping wet. Matt served in Portugal and based on his letters I could tell he was an incredible missionary. It was obvious his mission experience was going through him rather than he just going through the mission. When he returned after two years I couldn't believe my eyes. He had grown to 6'2", weighed about 180 lbs. (all muscle it appeared) and had increased in good looks more than just losing his teenage gawkiness. He was an Adonis, pleasant, happy, full of the spirit and the apple of every mother's eye for their daughters (as well as the apple of every 18, 19, 20-year-old girls' eyes). Our daughter was absolutely smitten by Matt but sadly she was only 17 and still in HS. Nonetheless, she was in love. This was the man (or type of man she wanted to marry). When Matt gave his welcome home talk the audience was astounded as he talked so eloquently and completely on the Atonement of the Savior and its role in conversion - including and especially his conversion. He had not only grown in stature but in spirit, in soul, and in his depth and breadth of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I can still remember and feel the spirit of that meeting. A few years later when I was serving as High Councilor and given the assignment of coordinating speaking assignments with return missionaries, I always assigned the return missionaries to talk of the Atonement and its role in conversion - theirs and their converts. I hoped that each missionary would in some way report like Matt. He had truly set a type.

I have an almost identical account/experience with a dear Sister, Shalyse, whom I sent on a mission as a Bishop. While she didn't grow in stature and weight she returned beautiful in every sense of the word - inside and out. She was an amazing missionary and just like Matt, her testimony and change of heart was profound.

When each of you got on the airplane, the bus, or were dropped at the curb of the MTC, the image in your parents and girlfriends/boyfriends eyes and mind of you changed. They knew they were sending out an 18 or 19-year-old but what they expected back was the equivalent of Matt or Shalyse. You see they knew then and know now that if you will let the mission go through you that is who you will become. They expect when you return in all your glory that you will be better looking, more fit, more trim, and especially more spiritual. They already have you slotted to be the youngest General Authority or General Young Women's President ever (we know this doesn't happen but this is the pedestal they place you on). They expect and know this will happen as a result of you consecrating and dedicating yourselves to Him for 18 and 24 months. This is what the Savior will give as you do what is required.

So, ask yourself; "Am I doing everything to let this mission go through me or am I picking and choosing what will go through me and avoiding some of the 'heavy lifting' that is required of me?" When I study the scriptures each morning are they going deep down in my heart or am I merely reading words on a page? When I seek to Find am I merely going through motions or am I letting the motion of Finding go through me and asking inspired questions?  When I Teach am I preparing spiritually and with meaningful role plays so that the spirit will work through me or do I simply have a good enough grasp of the principles I can vocalize the words anytime, anyplace? When I work with my companion in inventory, am I truly placing on the altar of the mission experience my differences, desires, pride, and indifference or am I simply complying with the requirement to have companion inventory? When I am corrected do I allow myself to feel the spirit and the intention of the correction - to help me become better, more, the best I can be - or do I feel the spirit of contention and allow myself to become offended with absolutely no desire or willingness to change? 

When the Savior uttered the words: "What manner of men (and women) ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you even as I am" don't believe for a moment that he wouldn't and didn't provide a way for that to happen, to come to pass in every aspect of that statement. And coupled with those words are His words: "If ye are not one, ye are not mine!" While there is a lifetime to work at it, there is not a time and opportunity to do so like a mission. As you have heard me say, "it is the best thing you can do for the blessing it will be to the rest of your life." Elder Maxwell said: "It is possible to go through the scriptures without the scriptures going through you." Similarly, and sadly, it is possible to go through a mission without the mission going through you. But please, please, please don't choose this path. Allow every aspect of the mission experience to go through you. It is uniquely designed by your Savior through Prophets and Apostles and other inspired leaders to help you become like Him - His admonition to all of us. Remember, your parents, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces, cousins, and yes, girlfriends/boyfriends have a very high expectation of who you are becoming. They absolutely expect a Matt or a Shalyse to return. And the most sobering thing is that while this is perhaps the greatest spiritual smorgasbord and feast of your lifetime, only you can decide if you will partake.

My challenge to you is to partake of every, last morsel provided. Don't allow a single opportunity or facet of this mission and your unique experience here not to go through you and change you to become "the manner of men (and women) ye ought to be." I humbly pray we will all allow this incredible opportunity and blessing to go completely and absolutely through us that we may become, "even as He is" and "One with Him".

With all my love, prayers, and devotion,
President Clark



No comments:

Post a Comment