Wednesday, August 13, 2014

President Clark's weekly letter to all of our missionaries


Dear Elders and Sisters,

As I attended a baptism Saturday evening (an 8 year and an 80 year old which was very cool) I was listening to the Baptismal Prayer which was given so well, clearly enunciating the distinct names by and of whom we perform that ordinance. It reminded me of the distinct nature of each member of the Godhead and helped me reflect on their individual as well as combined purpose.

Since then I have been thinking of a quote I once memorized by Elder Holland about the love of the Lord as manifested through the life of His son. "Of the many magnificent purposes served in the life and ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ, one aspect of that mission often goes uncelebrated. Many of his followers did not understand it at the time and many in modern Christianity do not grasp it now. It is the grand truth that in all He came to say and do, including and especially in his atoning suffering and sorrow, He was trying to show us who our Heavenly Father is and how completely devoted He is to his children in every age and nation. In word and in deed, Christ was trying to reveal and make personal to us the true nature of His Father, our Father in Heaven, and God in His Ultimate effort to have us know Him, sent to the earth His only begotten Son."

The Savior often said: "I only do the things I see the Father do" and then would say: "Come follow me" Or; "Do thou likewise". Clearly the Father's purpose is to reveal to us who He is and the Holy Son's purpose is to be exactly like the Father and through His life give us a personal pattern to follow. The Holy Ghost, the third member of the Godhead, will be our constant companion if we are worthy and will reveal and confirm these truths to us. It is with him (the Holy Ghost) that we will have our most constant and intimate relationship as he teaches us "the truth of all things."

As you prepare for Specialized Training this week, consider the doctrine of the Godhead and its significance that we teach as part of the Restored Gospel. Be prepared to learn spiritually, in the Lord's way, deep abiding doctrine of the nature of your Heavenly Father, the Holy Son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost.

Thank you for being such Complete Missionaries wholly consecrated to the work of salvation. I can't tell you how privileged I feel to serve with you in His work.

Love,
President Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment