Monday, August 22, 2016

PRESIDENT'S WEEKLY -

Departing Missionary Advice

Dear Elders and Sisters:

One of the most tender and spiritually instructive things that Sister Clark and I are blessed to do is sit in final testimony and counsel with the departing missionaries the evening before they leave the mission.  After having gathered in the temple together that day, we enjoy a great meal in our home and then teach one another through testimony and counsel.  Recently, I have made it a practice to write down the counsel these fine missionaries share as they complete their full-time, consecrated missionary assignment. 

Today I feel impressed to tell you what they would have you know and do different.  Here is their counsel to you:

"What we talk about indicates what our focus is and I have learned it is an indicator of our reverence towards our call and the Lord, Jesus Christ."

"I love the counsel to teach repentance and baptize converts - I fear Missionaries don't understand this as well as they need to." 

I wish I could help Missionaries see that correction is the way to be exactly obedient versus ‘only’ obedient." 

"Change/Repentance brings true power and unity of a companionship to us.  It will make us more powerful servants."

"Our own conversion is the most important conversion and this is best accomplished by seeking to convert another."

"Slang is much, much too prevalent!  Our speech, what we talk about has everything to do with Reverence to the Lord!"

"We must protect our companions at ALL times."

"Two principles that changed my mission - The Book of Mormon challenge did so much to bless my testimony; and President Clark's teaching of 'Act versus being acted upon' did so much to change my life."

"District Meeting/Training needs to be a spiritually uplifting and motivational meeting.  Please encourage District Leaders to rise to their call better in this respect."

"Focus on the fundamentals!  Always focus on the fundamentals!"

"Good role models and examples to look at are the District videos, the Fulcher Case, and Teach Repentance and Baptize Converts."

"I love the way President and Sister Clark portray their love for the missionaries and wish the other leaders would follow this example."

"Over a Year/Under a Year is a blessing.  Also, don't tell anyone you are training."

"Living our Missionary Purpose is so important!  Also, using time versus doing time will bless your mission/life."

"Please teach the Leaders to conduct effective exchanges!  They are often too casual.  Effective changes changed my mission!" 

"Be dignified!  Rise to Your Call!"

"Variety is important for each day's plan.  Don't be robotic!"

As I go through each week I often receive inspiration on what to write about.  I write these thoughts down and refer to them each Sunday evening/Monday morning as I write this letter.  This week I had written two notes: “Help Missionaries serve in a truly ‘Set Apart Manner’ and help them better understand how to consecrate/fast from the things of the world for two years.”  I believe these wonderful departing Missionaries have provided the perfect counsel to you and have helped me fulfill my “errand of the Lord” this week.  I have great respect for these missionaries and know their counsel will/should be a blessing to this great Mission.  I truly appreciate them for how they have left this final portion of their great missionary seasoning upon this mission.

Love and prayers,

President Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment