Monday, January 9, 2017

President's Weekly - The Divine Order of Our Purpose

The Divine Order of Our Purpose

Dear Elders and Sisters:

Some years ago, I was traveling from a service project in Guatemala with some dear friends when our discussion lead to an analysis of the "First Principles and Ordinances of the Gospel".  I remember, like it was yesterday, the witness of the Spirit then, that their order was divine.  So many doctrines of the Restored Gospel do have a divine order.  Another example is "Faith, Hope, and Charity" with the need to develop each in an order in order to be able to develop all.  I firmly believe your Missionary Purpose has a divine order to it - developing faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His atonement will lead to a desire to repent which will lead to a willingness to receive baptism and a desire to enjoy the Gift of the Holy Ghost and then Endure to the End.  I also believe another example of divine order was powerfully taught last January when Elder Oaks, as Chair of the Missionary Executive Council, announced we are to systematically "Teach Repentance and Baptize Converts". 

A few Zone Conferences ago as you taught different concepts from the Pamphlets to the Assistants, Sister Clark. In this teaching exercise, I requested you teach me about the Atonement.  As you did, I received another powerful witness of the need to follow this divine order of "Teach Repentance and Baptize Converts!"  As you taught me, so often I felt doctrine was being left out and skipped over as you rushed to get to a baptismal invitation.  It seemed many of you feared to teach me about repentance and yet you were trying to teach me about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. 

Now, please do not mistake this for a slackening of the need to challenge people to be baptized.  It is not!  But please seek to do a better job of teaching faith and repentance first!  Your DWMs are similar.  Unless your teaching increases faith, you don't earn the right to ask the Members who God has revealed to them that would benefit from this message.  Faith must be increased first. In my teaching experiences this last year with many of you, I have been receiving this ongoing witness that the sincere in heart desire to repent.  They want to be reconciled with God (this is what occurs when we repent) but they simply do not know how.  Our duty is to teach in such a way that faith is increased, they understand how to repent, and then the invitation to be baptized will be a powerful and natural.   

Not too long ago I was in a conversation with a contact about religion (imagine that).  She had told me she was a very spiritual person (meaning she doesn't feel a need to attend church).  The next question that came into my mind was: "Ask her how she repents."  So, I did.  I simply said: "May I ask you a very personal question that you don't need to answer if you aren't comfortable?"  She said: "Yes."  So then I mustered my courage, following and relying on the spirit and said: "If you don't go to church and partake of the Sacrament, how do you repent?"  Her response was instructive. She simply, with some emotion said: "I wish I knew how to repent.  I really don't and it troubles me."

Saturday, Sister Clark and I were blessed to teach the Plan of Salvation with the Assistants to one of their Progressing Investigators who surprisingly brought a friend.  As we began our lesson, this lovely lady said something that struck a chord with the spirit and me indicating how she simply wants to become reconciled with God (Repent).  Her faith in Jesus Christ had been building as she has been reading and keeping commitments.  The Lesson started to adapt to her needs (Teach People, Not Lessons) and we ended up referencing and reading from some of the wonderful doctrine in the Book of Mormon which teaches repentance and the beautiful cleansing and enabling power of the Atonement.  It was an exhilarating and spiritually fulfilling lesson to say the least and the invitation for baptism was simple and so very natural (actually a confirmation to be baptized for the one) which was confirmed and accepted with enthusiasm. 

Elders and Sisters.  Please look for and discover the divine order in the doctrine.  And as you seek to "Live Your Missionary Purpose and Fear No Man" this year, please follow the divine order of "Teach Repentance and [in order that you will] Baptize Converts"!

With great love, many prayers, and much respect and admiration!

President Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment