And My Father Dwelt in a Tent
Dear Elders and Sisters,
Well as I began the Book of Mormon again, inspired to do so, it popped out at me again. "And my father dwelt in a tent." Did you ever wonder why Mormon, the Prophet editor, was inspired to put that in there? Of what significance could that possibly have for us other than telling us their living accommodations which we really already knew based on their description of what they took? I think the answer has significance for us. Go back to the very first verse - "I Nephi, having been born of 'goodly' parents...". Goodly is so much more than "nice people". In this sense it means or points to the rest of the verse - "therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father...". Clearly, Lehi was a man of substantial means and high education. Much of this is supported by the account of Nephi and his brothers returning for the Brass Plates and using the "gold and silver, and all manner of riches" in an attempt to obtain the plates. What really is being made clear here is that Lehi was a man of substantial wealth and the fact that he "dwelt in a tent" indicates what he was willing to do and give up to follow the Lord. I think it teaches us something powerful about discipleship. I think it is applicable to us and what we leave behind, only for a few short years, but nonetheless we are willing, like Lehi, to leave it all behind to follow the Lord. Thank you for doing so. This does so much to bless your ability to serve in a consecrated way.
This is why I love reading the Book of Mormon. There are so many teachings for us and it is truly written for us and our day. Thank you for taking the challenge to read it with intensity. I know it will not only bless your lives but the lives of those we've been called to serve, here, now.
I loved seeing all of you at Zone Conference and am still basking in the spirit of the inspired teachings. I am so grateful to those who taught and to all of you for receiving the way you did. I trust you left more than entertained but rather changed.
This next part absolutely breaks my heart to tell you. Elder Guereca's father passed away last Friday and his funeral is today. I was with him last night to share the tragic news and was so overwhelmed by the spirit of love from his companion, his Zone Leaders, and the Holy Ghost, all who will serve to share his burden in the coming days, weeks, and months. And on the deepest level, I bear testimony that the Savior will bear all of these burdens through His atonement (see Matthew 11:28 -30). Please include him and his family in your prayers. He is a missionary of great faith and will, of course, continue to serve diligently. We are blessed to have him in this mission.
I just never feel like I have the appropriate words to express how much I love you, how much I love this work, and how I know it is His work and He is moving forward to Hasten it in His way. It is just simply a wonderful blessing to be yoked with you, here in the California Fresno Mission, now. Thank you for serving and thank you for your love, support, and prayers in Sister Clark's and my behalf. We love you so much.
President Clark
Well as I began the Book of Mormon again, inspired to do so, it popped out at me again. "And my father dwelt in a tent." Did you ever wonder why Mormon, the Prophet editor, was inspired to put that in there? Of what significance could that possibly have for us other than telling us their living accommodations which we really already knew based on their description of what they took? I think the answer has significance for us. Go back to the very first verse - "I Nephi, having been born of 'goodly' parents...". Goodly is so much more than "nice people". In this sense it means or points to the rest of the verse - "therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father...". Clearly, Lehi was a man of substantial means and high education. Much of this is supported by the account of Nephi and his brothers returning for the Brass Plates and using the "gold and silver, and all manner of riches" in an attempt to obtain the plates. What really is being made clear here is that Lehi was a man of substantial wealth and the fact that he "dwelt in a tent" indicates what he was willing to do and give up to follow the Lord. I think it teaches us something powerful about discipleship. I think it is applicable to us and what we leave behind, only for a few short years, but nonetheless we are willing, like Lehi, to leave it all behind to follow the Lord. Thank you for doing so. This does so much to bless your ability to serve in a consecrated way.
This is why I love reading the Book of Mormon. There are so many teachings for us and it is truly written for us and our day. Thank you for taking the challenge to read it with intensity. I know it will not only bless your lives but the lives of those we've been called to serve, here, now.
I loved seeing all of you at Zone Conference and am still basking in the spirit of the inspired teachings. I am so grateful to those who taught and to all of you for receiving the way you did. I trust you left more than entertained but rather changed.
This next part absolutely breaks my heart to tell you. Elder Guereca's father passed away last Friday and his funeral is today. I was with him last night to share the tragic news and was so overwhelmed by the spirit of love from his companion, his Zone Leaders, and the Holy Ghost, all who will serve to share his burden in the coming days, weeks, and months. And on the deepest level, I bear testimony that the Savior will bear all of these burdens through His atonement (see Matthew 11:28 -30). Please include him and his family in your prayers. He is a missionary of great faith and will, of course, continue to serve diligently. We are blessed to have him in this mission.
I just never feel like I have the appropriate words to express how much I love you, how much I love this work, and how I know it is His work and He is moving forward to Hasten it in His way. It is just simply a wonderful blessing to be yoked with you, here in the California Fresno Mission, now. Thank you for serving and thank you for your love, support, and prayers in Sister Clark's and my behalf. We love you so much.
President Clark
No comments:
Post a Comment